Sunday 10 September 2006

Walking near the school

10 Sep 06

Yesterday was a Sunday. As I mentioned in another account, the people down stairs are members of the church that Zeneta and I are members of. They, Collin and Brawnie are two of the other English teachers.

When Collin and Brawnie were in Hong Kong they got permission to hold their own sacrament (communion) services, so long as they abide by a number of, reasonable, restrictions. So, we went down to join them for little while. It turned out to be mostly social.

Later, I went back down and watched an episode of, ¡°dark angel,¡± with them. It is a Canadian series, a bit silly and poorly done; however, it must be remembered that I am not much of a television watcher to begin with. Brawnie is hoping to use it in her classroom in order to introduce idioms.

Later in the evening we went for a walk through the campus. With the students returning it is very crowded. We walked up to a pagoda on campus. There were a large number of students, and their families there also.

It was funny, several of the students wanted to be photographed with Zeneta. She was the only blonde in the group of us. I suspect, that for many of them, this is their first exposure to westerners. I am always aware of this and want to always be sure that the impression that I leave on people that I meet, even casually, is a good one. I have no doubt that I do not always meet this lofty goal.

Zeneta, the token American

Students being photographed with a Westerner (Zeneta)

As part of our walk, we went through a section made of alleys. While this area is not, technically, part of the school, it is between one of the school gates and the main road. As such, it contains, almost exclusively, shops tailored to cater to the student population. I jokingly referred to this section, to Zeneta, as Diagon Alley.

Diagone Alley, as seen from the campus

Later in the evening, after watching about an hour of Lord of the Rings, Zeneta and I went for dinner. We went to the noodle place that we often eat at. This worked out well as I still speak, effectively, no Chinese. It worked because the man who does the cooking saw us and knew what we wanted. At that point the waitress was able to tell me what we had been ordering.

After I had finished eating we took about half of what Zeneta ordered and headed home. Taking food with you is very simple due to the way that they prepare the dishes here. They use plastic bags for anything that can be thought of. In the case of food, they wrap the plates in a plastic bag. This insures that the plate is clean. It also provides an easy take away container, just unfold the bag from the bottom of the plate and pick it up. The bag is already around the food at that point.

[For those who are wondering, Zeneta takes part in the preparation of these dispatches. As such, they also contain her thoughts and input also. Zeneta is also a great help in checking my spelling. Zeneta is also keeping a paper journal, doing some limited writing in her blog space, and preparing a detailed slide show to share upon her return.]


Comments:

Kalush

it is nice to know that Zeneta is also part of these dispatches for I see that she does not post her own dispatches.

Posted by Kalush on Sep 11, 2006 11:48 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Johnny

I"ve been a Subscriber since about 6 entrys ago, it's Great to hear your interpitation of what is going on. just with there was some Pictures or Video to go with it ;)

Posted by Johnny on Sep 11, 2006 4:25 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Robert Crawford

Pictures are coming. I just got them to a website so I can link tham in this blog

Posted by Robert Crawford on Sep 11, 2006 8:30 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Serena and the GGs

I love to read what is going on with you and Z, I am happy to be apart of what is going on over there since I will never travel outside the U.S. Please keep posting. I enjoy your descriptions what is happing over there.. I do have some genenal questions like what kind of apartment are you in and how far are you from the main City.

Posted by Serena and the GGs on Sep 12, 2006 4:19 AM

No comments: