Friday 22 September 2006

Two dinners in two days

Wednesday I ended up using Zeneta's bicycle to get to work. I will say it; I do not like her bicycle as much as mine. There are little differences and make the one I got a better choice for me. As it happens, the last time that her bicycle was ridden was by Suzanne, when the bicycle was purchased and brought home. There were two large, adjustable, issues. First, the seat was too low; the second has to do with something that seems to be a Chinese preference in bicycles. They seem to run with lower air pressure in the tires than I am used to. As I have stated, in general, they do not ride very fast. So, the tire pressure was, what I would consider to be, low when adjusted for 100Lb Suzanne, then it sat for a couple of weeks, then I got on it. I can assure you that the tires were very low.

I ended up going out and switching the chain from her bicycle, which she does not seem to use (the reason that she wanted it was so that if the rest of us decide to go somewhere by bicycle, she will not be left out), to mine. So, I am up and running again.

Wednesday evening, instead of going to class, I went to an office meeting of the English department. Zeneta, Collin and Bronee were also present; however, because they teach in a different college of the University, Michelle and Ken were not. Remember, a typical University, as in the United States, contains many colleges.

We found out three things, one was the correct name for the college that I am teaching at, Xinyang Normal University, Haurui College. The second was that we are going to be moved. It seems that the college has finished renovating a set of flats, that they own, and we will be moved into there. It appears that we are currently using flats that are owned by a different college. The third thing that I discovered was the Collin, Bronee, and I, are expected to, each, address the incoming freshmen class at a full college assembly on Sunday. If anyone can think of anything interesting or useful to say, I would be interested in hearing it.

We were also talking to one of the junior teachers in order to develop a better understanding of the local prices and wages. As a college graduate and teacher, she makes about 1100 Yuan per month with about a 5000 Yuan bonus per year (Sort of made me feel bad for having counted my salary in front of her a week before; however, she was the one that insisted that I count it after being paid). Rent typically runs from 85 to 200 Yuan. After hearing those numbers, Bronee than asked about how much our flats would rent for. We were told that they would rent for about 250 Yuan per month. Our flats are clearly considered premium accommodations.

After the meeting, where the Chinese English teachers translated for us, we went for a walk around the college. As I said, there is a library under construction; there is also another class building under construction. The other class building is scheduled to be completed in late October. When it is completed, I am under the impression that, we are to move in to it. We have been told that it will have full Internet, audio video, and projectors in every classroom. I have chosen to stick with my, usual, "I will wait and see," attitude; of course, visibly, I remain very optimistic. I did find it to be a bit funny; I asked how the buildings are heated. In response, I got a totally blank look from the teacher I was talking to, Leah. I asked her if that silence meant that the buildings are not heated. She smiled and nodded.

Ventilation in the classroom comes from two sources. The first is the time-honored method of opening the windows. The second is the overhead fans.

To describe the class buildings in a bit more detail, they are four to five floors tall. Each of the upper floors has about twelve classrooms. The lower floor is, almost, entirely administration and teachers rooms. There are no elevators. All movement is by stairs. There is a bell (and a loud one at that) on each floor. The typical classroom has about fifty to sixty chairs, which are attached to the floor, arranged behind a long desk that runs the length of the row. In the front is a raised area with a lectern and a chalkboard.

After our walk through the college campus, where we were shown where we were to speak, we began walking to dinner. The same driver, as had driven us to the meeting, found us and drove us to the restaurant. This was another very nice place on the university grounds. The university is a very large place and has several very nice restaurants. They are the type of places that, unless you know that they are there, you would never find.

The dinner itself was excellent. It was served on another of the tables with a rotation center. The rotating center is a great way of allowing everyone to get what they want without having to reach, or asking others to serve for them. Many of the young women, who work at the college, were invited and, of course, the Chinese had another of their rice wine (Sake) challenges through the constant toasting.

I was put in a bit of a situation when the president of the college came over and began talking to me about pollution and industrialization. My concern was that my words, when they made it through the interpreter, who was drunk, would still be as polite as I intended to be.

Shortly after that, Zeneta insisted on leaving. So, we ended up leaving the dinner early and walking back to our flat. I felt a bit awkward about the, obvious, social error of being the first to leave and leaving early. So, the next day I went and told several that were there that we had a very good time and that Zeneta had just not been feeling well, which she had also stated as she insisted on leaving.

The next day was a usual full schedule day with six sessions to teach. Zeneta went to the office and ordered some water along with doing some shopping. While at the office, Zeneta took pictures of several of the people in the foreign exchange department.

That afternoon I went to the Diagon Alley for lunch. The dumpling guy was there. So, I got dumplings and a pita sandwich and headed back to the flat.

My last class of the day had very few in it. And, only about four of them had seen the movie. However, I was able to get some volunteers to show the movies at lunchtime. This may make it possible for each movie to get two showings. This would allow all of the students to make it to at least one.

I ended up just summarizing the movie. Then we did a nursery rhyme; they seemed to like it. I ended the class with showing some of the pictures that I had on my iBook.

When I got back to the flat I discovered that the other teachers were planning a dinner out. I quickly stated that Zeneta and I would also be interested in going, after working a full day; I was not in the mood to cook. We went to a very nice, upstairs, place. The food was great and there was a lot of it.

No comments: